Mister Mort Mister Mort
April 5, 2011

The Man In The Polyester Suits

I know y’all are more ADD than I but I ask you to get through this one. The last few are the best shots…

P6287533 P6287536 P6287537 P6287539I see homie sitting out in the sun almost every sunny day for a weeks straight before I began taking these photos.P7087788 P7087784P7087786He carried around a picture album with photos of himself and family. He would get very excited over this photo. This is him by a San Francisco landmark. The Transamerica Building I believe.

P7097811

P7097813
P7097815We didnt understand eachother at all but every time he would get to this picture he would shout “My grandson, My grandson” “NYU, NYU” I think is what he said.
P7097818 P7268928Once I walked him to the bathrooms in our lobby. P7268930And he once again showed me his photo album. P7268931One of my favorites of him. That shirt and his pose! P7268932 P7268934 P7268935 P7268936 P7268937Definitely the shot!P7268939shirt/tie combination is out of control. P7268940

TAGS: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

COMMENTS

25 Responses to The Man In The Polyester Suits

Daniel says: April 5, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Older Chinese guys in this city own above anyone else. Amazing dedication to style. This guy is particularly fantastic.

Scaleworm says: April 5, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Older folks have a level of self respect in attire and actions reflected in their history many of the youngsters that my generation lack.
Poise grace humility.
I could sit for hours listening to their life and observations. Met a gentleman in Maui, Harold, who was fascinating, just wishing for someone to chat with, which I did, and he told me more about that island than any wiki entry or glossy guide book because he was alive.
Thank you.

lisa says: April 5, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Holy smokes. This man really is a cut above. The hand-stitched tartan handle cover on his cane, the mad socks, the little album of family snaps always on hand. I love this guy. I wish I had even a tenth of his pride in appearance.
My favorite Mr Mort post ever.

LCL says: April 5, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I like this get to know your subjects shooting style. Not that I hate drive by shooting but between Cartier-Bresson and Arbus, I think I like Arbus shooting MO better.

John says: April 6, 2011 at 12:11 am

The green lanyard in the 3rd picture is most likely attached to a complimentary Cathay Pacific Airways passport holder (I received one identical to it while flying Cathay Pacific awhile back). Waaaay rad.
I enjoy catching a glimpse of another persons life. Mister Mort, you report your findings very well, sir.

=mew= says: April 6, 2011 at 11:34 am

I agree — best post ever. Was a time his snappy style would not have been out of place in the least. People today have no idea how to dress and respect themselves, above all else. That he has those photos with him makes me want to cry and hug him. J’adore.

ge says: April 6, 2011 at 5:59 pm

mordechai, i almost cried after reading this! a few of my friends and my grandfather emailed me and asked if i would tell you that they loved this post as well. the third from last photo (1992) is so out of control, i don’t even know if i can handle it. saving it immediately.
so the real question is, when can i be introduced to this fantastic little man? i hope he isn’t creeped out by the fact that i will probably hug him and cry when i meet him (?).

Todd says: April 6, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Real nice work. Taking your time to get to know the person. I love his photos. Some touristy, but the randomness is what’s so unique, always the smile.
An inspiring post indeed.

me says: April 7, 2011 at 1:06 am

There was a time I would see him every day between 11 & 2 sitting on the same bench at the plaza. He loved the sun. He would sit and show me his photo album every time like he had never shown me before. When he got up to the picture of his son in the red blazer he would shout “NYU NYU”. He took great pride in his family as his kit. I hope I see him when the weather gets warmer. I’m so happy people are loving this man like I do.

me says: April 7, 2011 at 1:12 am

I’m glad you pointed out his socks! They are the best! Like marni, comme or lanvin!

Dennis says: April 10, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Agreed – one of, if not, your best post. True definition of Style. Feels like a throwback to older MM posts that I miss.

tressie says: April 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm

that fellow is a doll, and this post is so darn sweet! thanks so much for having the kindness and smarts to see true style in all its forms! the real human touch….You haz it!

Jireh says: April 20, 2011 at 9:45 pm

one of my favorite posts. I lived in sf for 5 years and i see people like him. i hope to learn more about his story.
Jireh